Backgrounder - OLG Customers: Who Are They?
March 12, 2012
• Customers made more than 39 million visits to OLG gaming sites last year (F2011)
• 64% of Ontarians 19 years of age and older have made at least one visit to an Ontario casino or slots facility.
• 2.7 million Ontarians (or 27% of the adult population) 19 years of age and older have visited a casino or slots facility in the past 12 months.
• This group tends to have higher rates of community college education, full-time employment and household income.
• 77% of Ontarians who visit casinos or slot facilities are 51 years of age or older.
• Men and women visit casino or slot facilities equally. • The majority of casino/slot facility visitors, 89%, play slot machines; 24% play table games; 15% have placed a bet on horse races; and 3% have placed a sports bet. • 47% of slot and casino players in Ontario have annual incomes higher than $75,000
• Last year, 80% (or eight million Ontarians) played the lottery at least once.
• 51% play lotteries on a regular basis.
• A Core lottery player is someone who buys lottery tickets once a week or more. Approximately 21% of Ontario adults are Core lottery players.
• As a whole, lottery players tend to be aged 35-54, men and women playing equally, with higher rates of employment and a slightly higher household income than non- players.
• Lottery players tend to be older than non players. The largest group of players is between the ages of 35 and 54 with an average age of 48.
• The majority of lottery players (54%) purchases draw tickets only (e.g. LOTTO 6/49, LOTTO MAX). In comparison, only 4% of lottery players purchase Instant tickets exclusively. Almost 40% of players purchase both instant and draw tickets. Less than 6% of lottery players purchased a sports lottery ticket (PRO LINE, PRO PICKS or POINT SPREAD) in the past two months.
Copies of the report are available at www.olg.ca
For further information: OLG Media Relations, 1.888.946.6716