INTRODUCING ROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS - New daily lottery game offers Ontarians the ultimate ‘Throw Down’
January 10, 2012
“Rock, Paper, Scissors is a world wide phenomenon and we wanted to engage customers in a new way to play this classic game for great cash prizes,” said Greg McKenzie, Senior Vice President of Lottery, Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG). “R-P-S offers players a one-of-a-kind experience as they challenge OLG daily by selecting Rock, Paper or Scissors."
How R-P-S works
For each $3 play, customers select either Rock (R), Paper (P) or Scissors (S) or can choose the Quick Pick option for 14 rounds. Every night, OLG draws either Rock, Paper or Scissors for 14 rounds. R-P-S is not a traditional matching game. To win a round, the player’s “throw” must beat OLG’s “throw” – Rock beats Scissors, Scissors beat Paper, Paper beats Rock. RPS offers daily prizes of up to $1 million with a top prize for winning all 14 rounds. Other prizes are determined by the number of rounds won on the ticket. R-P-S prizing is limited to a maximum of three top prizes of up to $1 million and overall prize payout of $4 million per day.
More details are available on the R-P-S Fact Sheet.
Be Interactive on the R-P-S Challenger Microsite
OLG’s new R-P-S lottery game also engages players through a fun and interactive R-P-S Challenger microsite. Customers can visit www.OLGRPS.ca to check their throws by entering a unique playcode, and indulge in an interactive game of Rock, Paper, Scissors against a series of virtual opponents.
Get Trained in R-P-S Skills
Rock, Paper, Scissors aficionados should also be on the look-out for promotional R-P-S events taking place across Ontario in January and February. “The Champ,” the R-P-S master and coach known from the R-P-S television spots, and his team of trainees will be hosting Champ Camp events to help Ontarians practice their skills in live Rock, Paper, Scissors games. Making special guest appearances at select Champ Camp events, “The Champ” will share his secrets of the game, from how to make a winning throw, to R-P-S stance and posture, and opponent intimidation techniques.
OLG is a provincial agency responsible for province-wide lottery games and gaming facilities. Since 1975, OLG lotteries, casinos, slots, and resort casinos have generated more than $34 billion for the benefit of the Province of Ontario. Gaming proceeds support Ontario's hospitals, amateur sport, recreational and cultural activities, communities, provincial priority programs such as health care and education, and local and provincial charities and non-profit organizations through the Ontario Trillium Foundation.
THE ONTARIO PROBLEM GAMBLING HELPLINE 1-888-230-3505
Disponible en français
OLG Media Relations
• Each play for R-P-S costs $3, and there are 14 rounds per play.
• Customers can choose their own “throws” for each round by marking either “R”, “P” or “S” on a selection slip, or plays can also be chosen by Quick Pick. The object of the game is to beat the “Opponent Throw” in each round.
• “Your Throw” represents the customer’s selections for each of the 14 rounds on the ticket. OLG then draws either Rock, Paper or Scissors – known as the “Opponent Throw”
• Rock beats Scissors, Scissors beat Paper, and Paper beats Rock. “Your Throw” must beat the “Opponent Throw” to win a round. When “Your Throw” and the “Opponent Throw” are the same, it is considered a tie, which is not a win for the player.
• Prizes are determined by the number of rounds won by the customer which range from a top prize of up to $1 million for winning all 14 rounds down to $3 for winning 7 rounds, a free play for winning 6 rounds and even a $10 prize for not winning any rounds. R-P-S prizing is limited to a maximum of three top prizes of up to $1 million and overall prize payout of $4 million per day.
• R-P-S offers a fun and interactive experience at www.OLGRPS.ca where players can enter the unique “Play Code” printed on each ticket to play their throws against a virtual opponent whose throws will represent the nightly results as drawn by OLG. Please note tickets can only be validated at an OLG retailer or by sending the ticket in to OLG.
• The overall odds of winning any prize on R-P-S are 1 in 3.19. The odds of winning the top prize are 1 in 4,782,969, and the odds of winning a free play are 1 in 6.2.
• Advance Play is available for up to 10 consecutive draws, and there is also a Repurchase option on R-P-S to play the same selection of throws for subsequent draws. ENCORE is not available.
• Tickets for R-P-S can be purchased at local lottery retailers until 9 p.m. each night. The daily R-P-S draw will take place at approximately 9:30 p.m.
• Tickets can be checked in various ways. Customers can check their ticket on the self-serve ticket checker, sign it and give it to an OLG retailer for validation, call the WIN Line at 1-866-891-8946, check online at OLG.ca or by mobile web.
For a photo or further information, please contact:
OLG Media Relations